Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorHerbert, Robert L.
dc.date.accessioned2017-06-09T14:04:54Z
dc.date.available2017-06-09T14:04:54Z
dc.date.issued2017-06-09
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10166/4045
dc.description.abstractThis short illustrated essay tells the story of Williston Hall, the first building constructed wholly outside the walls of the gigantic Seminary Hall. Opened in 1876, it housed art and the natural sciences. A gallery of original art and copies was accompanied by rooms devoted to collections of ornithology, zoology, mineralogy and geometry. A large annex was added in 1889. When the first Shattuck Hall was built in 1892, physics and chemistry moved there, leaving more room in Williston for the other sciences and art. However, the sciences were burgeoning and space sorely lacked, so a final beneficial change came in 1902 when art moved to the newly built Dwight Art Memorial. In Williston the sciences gained national prominence in following years but in 1917 a disaster struck. Fire consumed the entire building and with it the once famous collectionsen_US
dc.language.isoen_USen_US
dc.subjectWilliston Hallen_US
dc.subjectArten_US
dc.subjectScienceen_US
dc.subjectBotanyen_US
dc.subjectGeologyen_US
dc.subjectPhysicsen_US
dc.subjectChemistryen_US
dc.subjectMineralogyen_US
dc.subjectOrnithologyen_US
dc.subjectPhysiologyen_US
dc.subjectDwight Art Memorialen_US
dc.subjectShattuck Hallen_US
dc.titleWilliston Hall, 1876-1917en_US


Files in this item

Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record